Move to Canada from the U.S.A.

Immigration advice you can trust

How you can move to Canada from the U.S.A.

Every year, many people come to Canada from the U.S., whether it is for school, family, work, or the opportunity to start a new life.
In 2019 alone, the U.S. was the fifth most popular country of origin of new Canadian immigrants. Those in the U.S. are well-positioned to immigrate to Canada through an economic-class program, due to their fluency in English, which is a huge asset when applying for Canadian immigration.
The travel restrictions with the U.S. during the coronavirus pandemic are not as strict as those imposed on residents of other countries. For example, U.S. residents who obtained their confirmation of permanent residence after March 18 are exempt from the travel restrictions, which is not the case for nationals of other countries.
Here are some of the ways U.S. residents and citizens can make Canada their new home:
Express Entry
Provincial Nominee Programs
Work in Canada
Study in Canada
Spousal Sponsorship
Express Entry

Many economic-class immigrants choose the Express Entry route for faster processing, which is about six months. Also, many people presume that it is relatively “easy” to enter the Express Entry pool, and get an invitation to apply for permanent residence, or a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).
Express Entry uses a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) to award points based on an immigration candidate’s human capital, which includes age, language ability in English or French, work experience, and education.
The weight of each of these factors is determined by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). They are in part a reflection of Canada’s immigration priorities, the labour market, and other factors that the government decides are important in a successful integration into Canadian society. In fact, Canada recently announced that more points would be awarded to French-speaking Express Entry candidates in an effort to promote more French immigration outside of Quebec.

Provincial Nominee Programs, an alternative to Express Entry
Most Canadian provinces and territories have a PNP that is aligned with Express Entry, which are referred to as “enhanced PNPs.” The province of Quebec has its own immigration system, and Nunavut does not have a PNP.
The rest have their own enhanced PNPs and “base PNPs” that operate independently from Express Entry. These base PNPs are typically reserved for people who have already established connections in the province or territory, whether it’s work experience, completed education, or family. You can apply to these streams directly, and at the same time you can also have a profile in the Express Entry system.
If you are invited to apply for a provincial nomination, it means that the province has decided that you would be a good candidate for their immigration program, and you are one step closer to permanent residence. If you get the provincial nomination through an enhanced program, you automatically get an additional 600 CRS points added to your Express Entry score, which effectively guarantees you will receive an ITA (Invitation to Apply) in a subsequent Express Entry draw.

Work in Canada
There are so many options for U.S. residents and citizens to work as temporary residents in Canada.
U.S. citizens, specifically, get four extra options through CUSMA (Canada-United States -Mexico Agreement) to work in Canada. If you’re a U.S. citizen, you are exempt from giving biometrics in work and study permit applications. The type of work permit you need depends on the type of work you’ll be doing. Certain tech occupations, and companies, will allow you to move to Canada in about four weeks through the Global Talent Stream. The hiring process under this fast-track program involves meeting certain requirements, such as completing a Labour Market Assessment (LMIA), commitment to certain salary requirements, among others.
There is also a divide in Canadian work permits between those that require LMIAs and those that do not. Employment and Social Development Canada will give employers a neutral or positive LMIA if officers are satisfied that there are no Canadians available to do the job.

Study in Canada
If you decide that studying in Canada is the right choice, the next step is to explore the different program options, select and send in your application. In most cases, international students who wish to study at a Canadian institution of higher learning must provide a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution when applying for a Canadian study permit.
After your application has been accepted, you will receive a letter of acceptance and will be able to apply for a study permit. The study permit will allow you to legally study in Canada.
Once you have completed your studies and graduated from a Designated Learning Institution, you can stay in Canada on a Post-Graduation Work Permit. This permit will allow you to work full time for any employer and move from student to professional status. One year of work experience in Canada will give you a significant advantage in terms of eligibility for immigration programs.

“I have family in Canada, can they sponsor me for immigration?”
Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their spouse or common-law partner for permanent resident status. Both the sponsoring Canadian and the sponsored person must be approved by IRCC in order for the sponsored person to immigrate to Canada. In order to get a visa under this immigration program, the sponsor and the sponsored person must prove that their relationship qualifies under one of these three categories: Spouse; Common-Law Partner; Conjugal Partner. The processing standard for spousal sponsorship applications in Canada is about 12 months from the date the application is received.

Moving to Canada during the coronavirus pandemic
Because of the shared border and the importance of trade between the two countries, the travel restrictions on U.S. residents and citizens are more lenient in comparison with other countries. Basically, travelers need a non-optional, non-discretionary reason to come to Canada during the pandemic. Border officers will turn away anyone coming for tourism, recreation, or entertainment.

U.S. travelers are exempt from the travel restrictions if they are:
· Immediate family members of Canadians
· Extended family members of Canadians
· Refugee claimants (not U.S. citizens)
· Protected persons International students going to a Designated Learning Institution with a COVID-19 readiness plan
· Work permit holders
Even if you don’t have symptoms, or are exempt from travel restrictions, all new arrivals to Canada must quarantine for 14 days.
Canada offers the ArriveCAN app that is meant to speed up border crossings. Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officers have the final say on who can travel to Canada. They will want to see that you are asymptomatic, have a quarantine plan, and are coming to Canada for an essential reason. If you have questions for crossing the border, the CBSA offers a number of methods to contact them for general information.

Applying for a visa can be time-consuming and difficult to wrap your head around. With strict deadlines, procedures, and requirements, it can be easy to make a mistake that could cost you your chance to migrate to Canada. But with the guidance and assistance of one of our knowledgeable Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) the process will be stress-free.
When you choose to use our expert and government trusted service you will get:
· An in-depth eligibility assessment
· Guidance on which of many immigration programs and visas to choose from
· An immigration plan tailored to your individual needs
· A review and submission of all application forms and documentation; as well as
support through every step of the application process

Universal Immigration Consultancy will be happy to assist you with any concerns or questions you may have.
You may visit our website at www.uicimmigration.com.
Phone: 306-914-8555
Email: admin@uicimmigration.com