OPEN: Home Support Worker Pilot Applications

Home Support Worker Pilot Applications are still open

Canada is still accepting applications for permanent residence under the Home Support Worker Pilot.

The Canadian government webpage says it has not reached the cap for the pilot.

Another pilot that was launched in tandem last summer, the Home Child Care Provider Pilot, has been filled. There were 2,750 applications submitted under this pilot. Applications will reopen on January 1, 2021.

People who already submitted applications to either pilot do not need to contact the immigration department. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will send notification letters to applicants once processing begins. IRCC says it may take longer than usual to send the letter because of the coronavirus pandemic.

These two five-year pilot programs let qualified caregivers and their family members come to Canada and apply for permanent residence.

Employee Requirements for the Foreign Worker

For the worker coming to Canada, they are carefully screened and must meet certain requirements related to education, training, communication, medical, security and criminal clearances and they must have a signed employment contract with their prospective Canadian employer.

Once the application is approved, the caregiver will have to have a medical examination that they pay for.

They also need to obtain a work permit before entering the country.

The application process will be different for each applicant depending on their situation, and qualifying work experience.

Qualifying work experience could mean having full time work experience as either a childcare provider, or a home support worker. Experience as foster parents, or housekeepers does not count.

How does the process work?

People who already have at least 24 months of qualifying work experience may be eligible to apply for the pilot program that is relevant to their field. Applicants will need to provide proof that they have this work experience.

Interested candidates who want to work as home support workers in Canada can now apply, but those who want to work a childcare provider must apply next year.

If candidates meet the requirements, they will receive a temporary work permit. This permit is an occupation- restricted open work permit, which allows holders to work as caregivers for any employer as long as they are not blacklisted by the government.

Once candidates get the required 24 months of work experience, they can send in the proof of experience and Canada will make a final decision on their application.

Universal Immigration Consultancy will be happy to assist you with any concerns or questions you may have.

You may visit our website at www.uicimmigration.com.

Phone: 306-914-8555


Email: admin@uicimmigration.com